German Scholarship Funds
We have one of the largest enrollments of German majors and minors in the US–a total of 75 last year. Our students are highly motivated, despite the fact that many of them work in excess of twenty hours each week to help finance their education. We currently offer scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students. These scholarships enable us to both reward excellence and attract strong applicants to our graduate program. An increase in departmental scholarship funds would enhance our recruitment efforts.
Generous donors have made possible the following fellowships:
- Beth Maveety Study Abroad Scholarship – An annual award of $1000 for outstanding students majoring in German, preferably those intending to teach German, to study abroad in Germany. Candidates are nominated by the faculty.
- The Philip & Theresa Hansen Germanic Scholarship in German & Scandinavian is awarded annually to one or more undergraduate students nominated by the faculty.
- The Plant Endowment Undergraduate Scholarship in German in the amount of no less than $1000.- is awarded to one or more undergraduate students who are majoring in German. Recipients will be selected by a committee based on academic merit and financial need.
- The Leona M. Kail Scholarship is awarded every other year to one or two outstanding undergraduate students with financial need.
- The Herbert Merker Scholarship in German and Scandinavian is awarded annually to one or more undergraduate majors in the Department of German and Scandinavian. Criteria include overall quality of academic work, a demonstrated commitment to learning, and financial need. Recipients are selected by a departmental faculty committee.
- The Philip Hansen Graduate Fellowship in German and Scandinavian. is awarded annually to one or more graduate students nominated by the faculty.
We invite you to help recognize and support excellent students of German by further contributing to the German Scholarship Fund to help us establish this endowment. You can do this in different ways:
Send a check made out to “UO Foundation/German Scholarship (Undergraduate or Graduate) Fund” and mail to:
UO Annual Giving Program
PO Box 3346
Eugene, OR 97403-0346
Or make a pledge to the German Scholarship Fund when you receive a phone call or letter from the
UO Annual Giving Program asking you to make a gift to the University.
Please feel free to contact Dorothee Ostmeier, Department Head, at (541) 346-4245 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like more information about the German and Scandinavian programs.